Sacred Heart Church was dedicated on 7th December 1884 and construction completed in 1922 which including the School which was later to become the Sacred Heart Mission.
In 1914 the land where St Columba’s school and Church now stand was purchased. The school was built and opened first in 1918 and the church completed and opened in 1929.
These two Parishes of St Kilda West and Elwood were the focal points of the local community with both Schools and Churches being envisioned and funded by parishioners in each Parish.
In 1982 Parish Priest Father Ernie Smith opened his Presbytery door and shared a meal with a man who was hungry and experiencing homelessness, a sign of a community changed significantly in its 100-year history and was the start of establishing Sacred Heart Mission and its dining hall in 1984.
In 2000 the Parishes of Elwood and St Kilda West became one community and the start of what we know today as the Catholic Parish of Sacred Heart and St Columba serving the community with education, social support and pastoral care. We are very proud of our heritage and those in our Parish community who pioneered the building of what we have today.
Our Parish is a Christian Community which welcomes all to walk together in a spirit of compassion, justice and hope
Appreciating the gift of our places
We acknowledge the Elders, families and forebears of the Boonwurrung and Wurundjeri tribes of the Kulin Nations, the tradition owners of the land, community, sea, and waters where we live and work. We pay our respect to elders past, present and future and value the contributions Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples make in our society. We acknowledge the continued deep spiritual attachment and relationship of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to this country and commit ourselves to the ongoing journey of Reconciliation